7 Dimensions of Wellness

7 Dimensions of Wellness
7 Dimensions of Wellness

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Reaching Out

The last time I was here I made mention that I was going to start my 2nd round of the P90X program…well uhhhh I didn’t. It was not because I didn’t want to, but we had a major storm and lost our power…really. Because I am a tad bit ummm….anal, I have to start on a Monday so I could have Sunday as a rest day. Anyway, all that to say, there is a reason for everything and I believe the reason it was put on my spirit to walk today, July 31, 2010 was to meet Veronica.

Although I am no longer in Indy, I got out of bed and was ready to walk 3 miles with CWUW (I think that is the length of the canal) at 8 am, Georgia hills and all. As I do whenever I am walking or running outside alone, I take this time to not only exercise my body, but also make sure my Spiritual health is getting exercised too. I take this time to praise my Savior for what He has created and just to engage in the first of many conversations we share during the course of a day. I usually don’t share intimate conversations, but this one is a testimony of how quickly HE will answer your prayers.

I have been guilty of complaining about the attitudes of folks (male and female) here in Atlanta simply because I really haven’t experienced that southern hospitality. I make a point to be extra cheerful to the first 5 people I see and by the time I reach the 4th or 5th person, it is no longer an act and I feel really good. Well here in Atlanta it has been a little more difficult to remain cheerful after the 3rd person because people simply are not very friendly and look at me like “what is wrong with her?” Today, I prayed to God to help me so that I do not become jaded in my views of folks here and to continue with what I have been accustomed to doing, being cheerful. This morning during my walk, I saw a woman in front of me and I started to walk a bit faster to catch up to her. When I finally caught up to her, I said hello and asked her if she walks daily and she said no she is in the gym during the week because of time, but on Saturdays she walks the neighborhood. Introductions were made and we walked together. As we were nearing the end of our walk, we approached her home and I noticed the INDIANA license plates on her vehicles. Not only were we both from Indianapolis but we literally lived across a corn field from each other in Indianapolis and never met.

Long story short…the lesson I learned is don’t let the attitudes of others change the way you are. As my granny used to say “you never know when you are speaking to an angel.” If I would have let my experiences with some folks in Atlanta change my spirit, I would not have enjoyed the company of a very nice lady, and I would not have found a walking partner for my Saturday morning “CWUW Walk.” I am going to continue to be me…cheerful and kind and Reach Out to folks (especially my sistas because we can be so ugly to each other and that is so sad) even if they don’t speak back. Let’s treat each other with respect and kindness, it never hurt anyone to say hello.

Peace, Love and Live Life Well

Butterfly

No comments: