7 Dimensions of Wellness

7 Dimensions of Wellness
7 Dimensions of Wellness

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Write it Down

Since I was a young girl, I have kept a journal. I can remember when I got my very first one, for my 10th birthday. It was pink with diamond shapes on it, and best of all it had a lock and key. I could not wait to write my first entry and I can still remember what I wrote. “Dear Diary, I finally have one. My birthday party was fun except for the fight and my brother’s Taurus cup got broke…” I smile as I think back on that and how good it felt that I could write down my personal thoughts “only for my eyes to see.” As an adult I still journal and this has helped me to relieve stress, set goals, and keep me accountable (i.e. daggone food journals... lol) Not to mention this is another opportunity to have “me time.” It’s funny, I can look back at my entries and I can tell when I was angry because my writing strokes are big, bold, and press through the paper. I can tell times when I was feeling a bit whimsical, happy, and light hearted because I sketched butterflies, flowers, and hearts. When I was bored, I sketched cubes, triangles, and circles…lol

Some people don’t understand the therapeutic benefits of journaling and I say this because I have been called “weird, quirky, introverted, and even stuck up” just to name a few things because I journal. Or, “you don’t open up about things” or “you must have trust issues because you write things down instead of talking about them.” Well, some of that may be true…I am weird, quirky, and at times a bit introverted but I embrace all of the adjectives that have been used to describe my personality, sense of style, and even the fact that I like to journal. If it were not for the fact that I journal several people in my life would have met the wrath of my very sharp tongue, not that I am proud that I have one…I’m just saying. I am working really hard to focus on what I say before I say it and even if I say so myself, I am getting better. For those who know have come to REALLY know me (not those who judge me now based on how I was in my 20s) know that I am really working in this area. I have not perfected the art, yet, but I am getting better.

Anyway, if you want to share your thoughts but don’t want to verbalize them to others, write them down and only you and God will know.

Peace, Love and Live Life Well

Butterfly

No comments: