7 Dimensions of Wellness

7 Dimensions of Wellness
7 Dimensions of Wellness

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Practice makes MY perfect!


August 19, 2012

Last night I completed my third half marathon (13.1 miles)…at night!!  I have to say that it was the best one I have run. I say this not because of the course but because I was prepared both physically AND mentally. I trained well for this race by incorporating strength training (Insanity, weights, body weight workouts) into my routine in addition to cardio (running intervals, Insanity). I’ve made better decisions on my food intake and hydrating my body. I made sure that I trialed products (energy gels, beans, etc.) during my practice runs to see how they worked in my body vs. going with what was/is popular. I followed a structured training program that was perfect for me. Mentally, my meditation practice allowed me to go to a space where I did not care who passed me and I was able to settle into my pace and enjoy the serenity of my run.  With all of this, I was able to run the first 10 miles using the 2:1 intervals and I felt great…powerful…and sometimes I even felt graceful. Although the course on this race was not my favorite (it was poorly lit) this has by far been my favorite half marathon.

Another factor that made my experience so grand is related to my gear (shoes, pants, bra, etc.). Since I have been running consistently for almost 1 year I have invested in myself by investing in gear that will support and protect me. I have been properly fitted for shoes and an ankle brace. I have properly fitting bras, shirts, visors, socks, etc. and I have a hydration back pack. Like my mental and physical preparation for races, I also prepare by practicing in clothing that I will wear for the race.  All it takes is for a pair of socks, a shirt, or your hydration pack to rub you to wrong way and that 13.1 miles will seem even longer.


So, if you’re reading this and want to walk or run in road races (5k, 10k, 13.1, or 26.2) please make sure you do not take the situation lightly. Make sure you train properly and remember that this is a personal journey so do YOU because you are only competing against self. Well, unless you are trying to place in a race…lol

Peace & Love

Buttafly

No comments: