7 Dimensions of Wellness

7 Dimensions of Wellness
7 Dimensions of Wellness

Saturday, March 9, 2013

There are so many things I learned from my mother.   Among them how to always thank God for the half full glass even when the water is murky, dirty or worse and has seeped out all over your life, how music makes any task bearable and how important friendship is to your mind, body and spirit.

When I think about the seven dimensions of wellness that we focus on in CWUW, cultivating and sustaining strong, healthy and loving friendships is key to our emotional, spiritual, intellectual and social wellness wellbeing.

As a kid, my mother was a remarkable model of a friend.  She took food to her girlfriends in need, she stood in the gap when mothers, husbands and kids were sick, she celebrated successes and prayed over tribulations, she also stayed connected.   She did this before e-mail and Facebook.  I could never understand how she could go weeks, months and sometimes years without seeing a certain friend but immediately catch up when they were face to face again, almost like finishing a conversation they had yesterday instead of years ago.  Those friendships were sustained with long and short phone calls, Christmas cards, letters and yearly exchanges of kid's school pictures. 

Many women make the mistake when they get married and have a family of putting their friends on the back burner.  My mom never did that.  Knowing my father, I'm sure those times she chose her friends over him probably came with some drama, but she did it anyway.  I'm glad she did.  I know those relationships have helped to heal my mother, strengthen her and bless her in ways big and small.  I know because I've been a witness to a lot of that love and I see how full her friends make her life.

Recently my friend's mother passed away, and while that was such a sad time it was a blessing to be able to be present with my friends.  Ride or die people that have had my back at home and abroad.  When I think about the things that I need to nurture in order to live my life well, time for my friends is just as vital to my health and well-being as what I eat, do, breathe and think.  Toxic people create toxic energy.  If a friendship isn't healthy and whole for you - let it go.  We don't get to choose a lot of our family, but we can our friends.  Choose wisely and nurture appropriately.

Peace

Friend of Rhonda, Yolanda, Gloria, Toni and many more. 

No comments: