7 Dimensions of Wellness

7 Dimensions of Wellness
7 Dimensions of Wellness

Monday, January 20, 2014

Meatless Monday Blog – January 2014: I LOVE to eat!




Ok, I’ll admit it…I LOVE to eat!  Those who know me joke that I plan my day around eating.  And it doesn’t help that my lifestyle requires me to be on the go a lot…that means eating out all the time!  But now that I’m getting older and much more conscious of my health, I’ve been making efforts to not let my love of food and life-on-the-go be detrimental to me.  So last year I took the Meatless Monday pledge and agreed to give up meat on Mondays.  What a difference it has made! There are quite a few benefits to going meatless, but here are my top three reasons to go meatless on Mondays:

1.  It’s easy to do!  Think about how many diets or meal plans you have started, and gave up on because it was just too complicated or inconvenient to your lifestyle.  With Meatless Mondays, you’re cutting out meat just one day a week.  How easy is that?  In fact, most of the things you already eat can be prepared without meat or with a substitute such as beans or tofu.  Click here for some easy recipes!

2.  It’s good for my heart!  According to The Monday Campaigns, the global leader of the Meatless Monday movement, a recent study done at Harvard University shows that by replacing meat, which is high in saturated fat, with foods that are high in polyunsaturated fat can reduce your risk of heart disease by as much as 19%.[1]  That’s a lot! Can’t beat that, right?  Adding more fruits and vegetables to your diet also gives you more vitamins and minerals, and can mean fewer calories too.

3.  I’m learning about new foods!  As I’m on this Meatless Monday journey, I’m taking the opportunity to try new recipes, and supplement my meals on Mondays with fruits, vegetables, grains, beans and more that I might have never tried if not for going meatless.  I love that I have now widened my tastes and have added some new favorites to my list!  One of my new favorite staples is kale.  It’s delicious, easy to prepare and can be used in a lot of different dishes.  Check out these kale recipes for some ideas!

These are just a few of the many great reasons to go meatless on Mondays.  Don’t let a busy lifestyle or a love of meat stop you from taking an easy step to improving your health! For more information on Meatless Monday, recipes and more, follow us on Facebook or Twitter!


[1] The Monday Campaigns. (2014). Meatless Monday: Why Meatless? Retrieved January 2, 2014, from Meatless Monday: http://www.meatlessmonday.com/about-us/why-meatless/

Akilah Webster, CWUW Interim Board of Directors Chair, Meatless Monday Committee Chair

No comments: